- RICE LAYER :
- 1 Cup glutinous rice
- 1 Can coconut milk
- Pinch of salt
- SUGAR SYRUP :
- 4-5 Pieces fresh pandan
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Cup water
- CUSTARD :
- 1/4 Cup flour
- 2 Teaspoon corn starch
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Cup thick coconut milk
- Pinch of salt
A two-layered steamed combination of glutinous rice on the bottom and silky smooth pandan custard on top. The flavor and the escence of pandan, makes this recipe delightfull and good.
Preaparing Rice Layer
- In a rice cooker, over the stove or in a steamer, cook the glutinous rice with the thin coconut milk and salt.
- Put banana leaves on the bottom of an 8 inch baking pan.
- Spoon the cooked rice into the prepared pan.
- Press the rice firmly onto the base of the pan to form an even and compact layer.
- Cover and steam, for about 20 minutes over medium heat.
- Once done, reduce heat to low but keep the baking pan inside the steamer.
Preparing Pandan Syrup
- Wash and cut fresh pandan leaves into small pieces.
- With a mortar and pestle or a blender, mash the leaves finely.
- You can use a little amount of water to make it into a paste.
- In a deep sauce pan put water, sugar and mashed pandan leaves.
- Cook over medium low heat till sugar has dissolved. Remove and set aside to cool.
Preparing Custard Layer
- Mix the thick coconut milk with the prepared pandan syrup, and bring to a boil.
- Combine flour, corn starch, eggs and salt. Whisk till smooth.
- Slowly drizzle over the pandan syrup while whisking.
- Cook the custard over medium low heat, stirring continuously till custard thickens slightly.
- Pour the custard over the rice layer.
- Cover and steam over medium low heat for another 15-20 minutes or till custard is set.
Cooking Tips :
- When preparing custard, steam over low heat to obtain a smooth custard layer.
- To get neatly cut pieces, use an oiled or heated knife.
Watch the Biko Pandan cooking video :
Incoming search terms:
- pinoy food
- pinoy food blog
- pinoy food blogs
- paggawa ng kalamay
- paano magluto ng biko
- pandan biko
- pandan biko hapag kainan version
- paggawa ng biko
- pinoy specialty food