Filipinos love this delicious egg-based dessert, a soft and creamy custard made of eggs, milk and caramel for topping. customarily served in every celebratory occasions like, feast and birthday party. “Leche Flan” A dessert with a perfect pairing of sweet, rich caramel and creamy custard. We are going to make a different variety of flan, with a few changes in recipe but close to the preparation. The “Quezo Flan” or “Cheese Flan“, a smooth cream cheese custard topped with a homemade caramel. This rich variation of our traditional flan is one that you can master, and keep the recipe for the future.
On a regular caramel recipe, white or brown sugar are added to the water . On a sauce pan in a low heat, or directly do it in llanera until sugar are dissolve and turn into a thick syrup. That’s the caramel, it adds a flavor and colorful presentation in every egg custard recipe. In our recipe, pure sugar on the saucepan and no water added. we want our caramel to get the right consistency to pair with our creamy cheesy custard. These processes is not to be complicated, you can still go with your own way of adding water, to reduce the amount of sugar. Reminder, it taste bitter if you will burn your caramel . Tips are, stirring constantly and turn the fire of when 90 percent of the sugar are melted in a saucepan, the remaining solid sugars will be melted while stirring. Pour the caramel on your prepared mould while hot, it may thicken when it gets cold.
In making the custard mixture, prepared to use a blender with a lid. It may splash over or cream cheese may not be properly beat, if you use the hand mixer over the bowl. Procedure are so simple, I rated this as easy to moderate in cooking category. This is the explanation, we will blend the ingredients all together until smooth, you don’t have to worry about the bubbles or presence of air in your custard. After beating, we will strain the liquid. We want to make sure, our mixture are free from solid cheese and smooth. Other says, its a Cheesecake. They are maybe right, the taste of the custard without a caramel taste like cheesecake. Its up to you to decide. but first, try this recipe.
- 1 Package (8oz. each) cream cheese
- 3 Pieces eggs
- 1 Can (14 oz.) condensed milk
- 1 Can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 1 Cup white sugar
- Put sugar in a small saucepan over medium high heat, stirring constantly until deep golden brown and caramelized.
- Carefully pour caramel into the prepared mould or baking pan, quickly swirling to evenly coat bottom before caramel hardens; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese and evaporated milk until smooth.
- beat in eggs, vanilla flavoring and condensed milk until smooth and combined.
- Strain cream cheese mixture into prepared baking pan, cover tightly with foil.
- Steam for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Oven Directions: Heat oven at 350°F, place mold in larger, deep pan. Pour enough hot (not boiling) water into larger pan, until water comes halfway up sides of flan mold to form bain-marie. Bake for about 45 minutes or toothpick inserted in the middle, comes out clean.